Monday, July 14, 2008

Baby Talk

Robin and I have been talking for a while about having another baby. We made a fairly momentous decision to start trying to conceive next month. I got pregnant with Jack on our first try, and I wouldn't mind if it took a bit longer this time.

I have been hesitant to have another baby. Our life was very hard after we had Jack, for a lot of reasons. I had a great pregnancy, but Jack was delivered by emergency c-section. I thought he had died. The cord was wrapped around his chest and his heart rate slowed to almost nothing. He was delivered by the doctor on call, whom I had never met before. After the surgery, I didn't see Jack for several hours because I was in shock and my body temp was 94 degrees. In the end, Jack was a terrific, happy, healthy baby, but the beginning was scary, and I never really got over that.

After I delivered, I suffered from post-partum depression for a long time. I was tired and irritable, and I couldn't get through the day without a drink. When Jack was 18 months old, one day I didn't want to drive with him in the car because I was so tired I feared I would have an accident. That was the day I called the doctor. And I got help, and medicine, and everything turned out fine in the end. But I never want to suffer through anything like that time again.

I think the reason I am willing to try again is that we have so much love in our house - my husband and I for each other, and both of us for Jack. Yes, we have the space and the time and energy. We have a big house now, two jobs, plenty of money. Jack will be going to school in a year. But I think the love is the most important thing.

And, anticipating being pregnant and various stages of uncomfortable, I decided to put a couch in my office. I bought it at a yard sale for $40. Here is Robin being comfy in the parking lot:

I bought some pillows from Marshalls and they match pretty well.

No comments: