Thursday, July 24, 2008

Travelogue

I haven't been writing much because I've been very busy. My husband is away for three weeks, and so I have more to do. Jack has been (fairly) good about "helping" (going for walks with me and the dog in the morning, putting his shoes on, etc.) He's also been writing on the walls, spilling his apple juice, screaming when we went for ice cream, and waking me up really early (before 8:30! No!). I try to be patient with him - I know it's hard for him to have his Daddy go away.

Jack and I tend to do a fair bit of traveling together when Robin is away. We are going to Lexington, KY this weekend to see the Kentucky Horse Park and some railroad museums, and generally revel in the beautiful Bluegrass Country. We're staying overnight to take advantage of a hotel pool. We are also flying to Vancouver in August to visit my sister. Vancouver is a fun city and Jack likes to travel, especially to fly.

I used to be a terrible traveler - I had crippling anxiety before I flew, and I got upset and angry when there were delays and cancellations. I made elaborate preparations and packed a week in advance. And then I had a child. A child who loves airports, who sits happily for 5 hours on a plane looking at clouds, eating snacks and flirting with the flight attendants. A child who eats happily in any restaurant and sleeps in any bed. After our first ten or so trips together, the anxiety just ebbed away. Traveling with a happy person will do that. And can I recommend flying First Class with children? They can't kick the seat backs, and you get free wine. Business class on a 777 is like being in a living room, except my living room doesn't have massagers in the chairs. You do have to put some nice clothes on, and people generally aren't as friendly, but it's worth it.

No comments: