Friday, September 12, 2008

Paris, here we come

My husband is going to Paris the first week in December to sit on a PhD defense committee, and Jack and I have decided to tag along. I love to travel to places where there are people we know; we get hospitality and so much insider information. I have been thinking, though - Jack isn't going to go for three hour trips through the Louvre, or looking at picturesque monuments all day. In fact, I think the reason he wants to go is because I told him how good the croissants and ice cream are there. That's okay with me, I'm a big fan of croissants (and macarons, and pain au chocolat, and lemon tart, and chocolate mousse) myself. I have also been to Paris before and seen many lovely things, and this is Jack's first trip, so I am looking for some kid-friendly things to do. The hubbie will be at the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle, so I guess I'll start in that vicinity and work outwards (fortunately, Jack loves public transportation. He thought the electric buses in Vancouver were the last word in cool)

The museum is in the 5th arrondisement, on the Left Bank, close to the Seine, Notre Dame and the Luxembourg Gardens. The Jardin de Plantes, a botanical garden, is in front, along with a small zoo.

So:
E. Dehillerin (French kitchen shop)
Pierre Herme
Laduree
Berthillon (aforementioned ice cream)
Luxembourg Gardens
Jardin de Plantes & zoo
Montemartre (I missed it on my last trip)
Bonpoint (children's clothing boutique) outlet at 42 Rue de l'Universite
Louvre - 18 and under are free

No comments: