Monday, October 27, 2008

Jack's Bistro

I have wanted a toy kitchen for Jack for a while now. I looked at the cute ones at Target, but neglected to buy. This year's model, unfortunately, has pink trim, and next year's is a rather garish bright blue. I considered making one from scratch in *all* my spare time. Then, as fate would have it, I went antique shopping last weekend and spotted the "Suzy Homemaker" oven you see in all its turquoise glory. It does something which only a toy made in the 50's before giant corporate lawsuits would do - it heats up. That's right. I have not plugged it in, so I don't know if that part still works. The oven was mine for $35, still in the original box. I made
Jack some felt chocolate chip cookies and put out his play food and fruit. I had a set of pots and pans that I played with when I was a little girl. They are miniature Revere Ware in stainless steel with copper bottoms (another toy I can't imagine being made today, simply because of the expense). The set has a frying pan, 2 saucepans with lids, a little tea kettle, a mixing bowl and a coffee pot with lid. The little shelves are from IKEA, as are some of the baking implements. The polka dot table and chairs were a birthday present and came from Babystyle. All in all, a fabulous and fabulously easy little restaurant for my little gourmet.

No comments: