Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Most Wonderful Sound

is one I haven't heard for many years. The clank and hiss of a hot water radiator on a cold winter's morning. Unless you live in a pre-war house, you will never hear this divine sound. My dorm at the University of Chicago was old, with transom doors and lovely wood paneling, and those radiators. I was 18 years old, living a life devoid of luxury, and the hiss of steam on a January Saturday, ushering in as it did a day of no classes, sleeping in, and strawberries for breakfast in the dining hall. To a young woman who lived on a pittance, who walked and biked everywhere she went, to whom a meal in a restaurant was a treat, it was such comfort. Now I live in a house with forced air heat, and it still wakes me up with its whoosh and creak, but it's not the same.

No comments: